GED-GEN is a program that creates customized web pages. Use it to make your own family tree website. By publishing your genealogy on the Internet, you can easily share it with relatives and fellow researchers, who are often distant cousins.
GED-GEN is short for "GEDCOM Web Page Generator." It reads a GEDCOM file, which you create using your favorite genealogy software. GED-GEN web pages are in family group sheet format. You can seamlessly integrate them into your family tree website.
Why publish my family tree on the Internet? (Answer)
Why publish my family tree on the Internet? (Hide)
- Share your family tree with relatives without distributing a paper booklet.
- Publish changes instantly without re-distributing paper booklets.
- Share your research with other genealogy researchers.
- Make contact with distant relatives researching the same families.
Distant cousins can provide valuable clues and information for your own research. When they google your ancestral surnames, the family pages at your website may lead them to contact you.
What if I don't have a website? (Answer)
What if I don't have a website? (Hide)
- Your Internet account probably already provides space for a small website.
- Create a larger website at a hosting company, like 1&1 Website Hosting or HostGator.
- Use GED-GEN to review GEDCOM files without importing them into your genealogy program.
- Use GED-GEN to distribute family pages on CD-ROM to share among family members who don't have genealogy software.
What if my favorite genealogy program already generates web pages? (Answer)
What if my favorite genealogy program already generates web pages? (Hide)
Compare features and options and you may prefer GED-GEN:
- Does your program generate web pages only at its company website?
- Does your program integrate well with your other personal web pages?
- Does your program generate web pages that are confusing to read and difficult to navigate?
Please contact email@example.com if you have questions.
- Use your favorite genealogy program to create and maintain your family tree.
- When you are ready to publish your family tree as an Internet website, export your family data to a GEDCOM file.
- Run GED-GEN and specify the name of the GEDCOM file and the folder where GED-GEN should place the generated web pages. Choose any other options to customize your web pages.
- GED-GEN will read your GEDCOM file and generate a series of family group sheet web pages.
GED-GEN is a shareware program. The unregistered version provides basic features to create appealing web pages. The registered version provides more features.
Registered and unregistered features include:
- Multimedia: Add galleries of multimedia items referenced in your GEDCOM.
- Portraits: Add portraits using your primary scrapbook images.
- Surnames: The surname pages can include surname frequency counts.
- Index: Easy to read index pages are partitioned and grouped by surname.
- Family: Family pages are in group sheet format, one family per page.
- Seamless: Customize colors, fonts, and headings to match your website.
- Biographies: Add links to your biography web pages.
- Narratives: Add links to your family narrative web pages.
- Navigate: Add kinship phrases to help visitors navigate your pages.
- Import: Display the contents of text or web files on family pages.
- Images: Display a person's image next to their name.
- Groups: Display a family group picture on each page.
- Privacy: Exclude living individuals, or hide names and/or dates.
- Footnotes: Include source citations, and bibliography and repository pages.
- Facts: Selectively include or exclude over 40 facts, and research notes.
- Labels: Change the text of all titles and labels; create non-English pages.
- CSS: Override styles with your own Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).
- Low-level: Include scripts directly in web page files.
- Help: Complete help facility. (Preview)
- Plus: Find many more options to fine-tune your web pages.
- Windows 95 or later, or Windows NT 4.0 or later.
(That is, Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, or Windows 7.)
- GEDCOM files must use version 5.5.1 or 5.5 format.
- GEDCOM files must use abbreviated tags.
- GEDCOM files must use UTF-8, Windows ANSI, or the ANSEL character set.
GED-GEN is intended for those who maintain their own websites. If you use your favorite genealogy program to create web pages at a commercial genealogy website, you might be restricted from incorporating GED-GEN family pages. You can still use GED-GEN to view, but not edit, the contents of a GEDCOM file.
Here is what's new at GED-GEN.com:
For update notifications, subscribe to the GED-GEN Updates feed.